Where: Cedar Mountain Youth Range (aka Cedar Mountain 4-H Gun Club)
The range is officially called Cedar Mountain Youths, Inc. and they have a website but unexplainably it doesn’t list an address or provide a map to the place, although they heartily invite the public to come and use the range.
The entrance is off Rte. 15 south of the town of Culpeper, and according to Google Earth it is 4.4 miles from the interchange of Rte. 29 & 15 to the entrance on the left (east) side of Rte. 15. It is directly across Rte 15 from the entrance of General Winder Road = Rte 657, which has a sign marking the corner of the Cedar Mountain Civil War battlefield. The entrance road to the range is marked with that message board that talks about 4-H activities, deer processing, rifle sight-in days and such.
- Start time is 9:00 am, (not 8 am as in a previous e-mail) Saturday June 20th, and the optimal time to be there is 8:50, since we need everyone to sign a waiver form and huddle up for safety instructions.
- There is a $10/person range donation-fee
- You can bring your own handgun or rifle, and ammo, if you like, OR use one that Derek McFarlane or Bill Sadler are bringing.
- Derek and Bill, both from Christ Covenant, are certified NRA instructors and will be there to assist, train, and instruct, and will probably be assisted by additional instructors from Cedar Mtn
- Derek (and perhaps Bill) will have reloaded ammunition for use, at cost, ranging from $13/50-round box of 9 mm handgun to $2/ 6-rnds of 38 Special handgun, with $8/ 20-rnds of .223 rifle (AR-15) in between.
- Previously I had said we would also have shotgunning/skeet, but we have decided that would be better as a separate trip.
- We will have .22 rifles, ammo, and instruction specifically for the younger shooters; and .223 rifles for adults.
- You might want to bring one of those folding soccer chairs with you. The cars will be parked close to the facilities, so you can leave it in the car to start.
- I think the whole thing will run from 9 am to noonish.
I look forward to seeing you there!
- John Orr